Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Snowskin Mooncake

I had been doing alot of baking recently since I bought my first oven. However, I have not taken photo of any of my creation due to laziness haha. The next time when I take photo of my creation, I will also upload the recipe. Mid-Autumn festival is round the corner and I thought I will save some money and make some mooncakes. Being a fan of snowskin mooncakes, I decided to make these. I successfully made snowskin mooncakes, after 2 failures, which my mooncake skin turn out flaky and not smooth like those commercial ones. After doing quite a bit of troubleshooting, I finally made my first batch of decent looking ones.
Ingredients

Skin

90g Kao Fein
10g Tang Mien Fen (Wheat starch)
30g shortening

180ml water
4 tbsp sugar ( 80g sugar if you like it sweeter)
1 blade of pandan leaf
1 tbsp fresh milk

Filling

2 tbsp melon seeds
260g Lotus seed paste

Method

1)Boil water, add in pandan leaf and dissolve sugar. Cool the syrup then put in fridge to chill it.

2)Mix kao fein and tang mien fen together. Add shortening and use rubbing in method to mix in the flour into crumbly form.

3)Add in fresh milk and syrup into the flour mixture.

4)Knead into a soft dough, it should be mildly sticky. Do not overmix or else skin will be hard.


5)Mix melon seeds into paste.

6) Roll lotus seed paste into balls of 20g each. Set aside.


7) Roll the dough into balls of 30g each. Put a ball of dough between a transparent plastic wrap and roll it out.

8) Do not roll out too thinly or else the skin will break easily.

9)Gently pick up the rolled out dough and place one ball of lotus seeed paste in the middle.

10)Carefully press the opening shut and place the ball into the mould, making sure the opening is facing you.

11) Knock out the mooncake and chill it at least 1 hour before serving. Keep the mooncakes in container before storing in the fridge and the softness of the skin should last at least 4 days.

Note: All ingredients can be bought at Phoon Huat, including the lotus seed paste. But if you are free and adventurous enough, you could make your own, it's at least 2 times cheaper. Be warned though that it's tedious work and need alot of arm power since you need to stir the mixture for at least 1 hour. I spent around 5 hours altogether from cooking the lotus seed till it soften to having the end product. You could get the recipe of the lotus seed paste from the website given above, I have gotten the recipe for the snowskin mooncake from there too, but did some modification according to what I have experienced from my failures.

No comments: